Last month I talked about how to improve your immune system. Well, I have been asked by a few people to elaborate. How does our immune system get so out of whack? So, this month I want to start the discussion on inflammation and how to reduce symptoms.
Inflammation is a normal and important body function except when it gets out of control and becomes “silent,” lying just below the level of pain and causing tissue and cellular disrepair. This silent or hidden inflammation contributes to the development of chronic diseases like cancer, arthritis, Type 2 Diabetes, IBS, and many more autoimmune diseases.
How can we help ourselves?
LIFESTYLE TREATMENT FOR INFLAMMATION
- increase exercise and consider lymphatic flow (rebounding, breathing)
- “clean-up” the diet eliminating all food additives and chemicals
- eliminate any processed or oxidized oils that lead to free-radical damage
FOOD TREATMENT FOR INFLAMMATION
- heal the gut
- optimize digestion, assimilation, and elimination
- remove all food allergies and address sensitivities
- work toward an anti-inflammatory diet – eliminating the big offenders (gluten, sugar, dairy)
- eliminate all oxidized oils and processed fats
- eat organic (eliminating all additives, hormones, and pesticides from foods)
- drink enough water
- probiotic therapy for a leaky gut
- essential fats/fish oil
- anti-inflammatory nutrients:
- vitamins A/D (fermented cod liver oil)
- vitamin C
- vitamin E
This is a great place to start. If you feel like you need more help, give me a call, or set up a time to chat!